Thursday, February 17, 2011

"Just A MOM"?


I was thinking the other day that it's been nearly 24 years since I earned a Master's degree from the Univ. of Tennessee-Knoxville in Speech-Language Pathology. I worked so hard to get that degree! I had to take classes like Statistics, which still gives me the heaves just thinking about it, Anatomy and Physiology, Aphasia, and Research, just to name a few. I, also, had to put in many hours of clinical practicum working with patients who had speech, language, and hearing disorders while being supervised by some of my professors. When I finally earned my degree, I had high hopes of being fully immersed in the field for a long time to come. I was going to make a name for myself!

Well, two years after I graduated, I got married and had Brittany three years after that. When I learned that I was pregnant with her, Chris and I agreed that it would be best for me to stay at home with her...to raise her the way we wanted her to be raised. I had always wanted to be a mother, so I was excited and ready for this new chapter in our lives. Chris and I made the decision that when Brittany entered school, I'd go back to work. Guess what happened in that time frame? Abby arrived on the scene! So, time continued on with me being a stay-at-home mom and as the days and years went by, I realized that my girls needed me more, rather than less. So, my "plan" to return to the work force sort of faded away.

I often get asked what I do for a living and my response has always been, "Oh, I'm just a mom". I've never really given a lot of thought to it...it's almost become a rote response. You know, I think I'm much more than "just a mom". You see, being a mom entails a lot of things. I can't tell you the times I've wiped tears from my daughter's eyes because someone has said or done something that has hurt their feelings. I can't tell you the times I've had to sweat over projects they've asked my help with...and have stayed up until the wee hours of the morning trying to get it all figured out. I can't tell you how many times I've sat by their bedside when they've been sick and kept a wet washcloth on their foreheads to keep their fevers down. I can't tell you how many times I've read them "The Cat in the Hat" or "Where the Wild Things Are" and have added my own voices to each character in order to keep them intrigued. I can't tell you the hours I've spent sharing my words of wisdom or advice when my girls have had issues they've needed to work through. I can't tell you the times I've turned to God in prayer asking for His guidance and His help in making me a more patient and understanding mom. I can't tell you how often I've wholeheartedly volunteered to be Room Mom or Team Mom just to spend a little extra time with my girls. Oh, and lest we forget the miles I've burned up taking my girls from one activity to another. This is only the tip of the iceberg, but it goes to show that there is way more to being "just a mom" than meets the eye and I will never use that phrase loosely, again.

In these past 19+ years that I've been a stay-at-home mom, I haven't discovered new therapy approaches for dealing with stuttering, dysphonia, or tongue thrust. No, you won't see any certificates or awards on my walls that I've been given for all of my outstanding endeavors. However, what you will find are memories tucked deep inside my heart of all the time I've been blessed to have with my girls as they've grown up and matured. First steps, first words, first teeth, first days of school, first loves, and first heartbreaks...I've had the great fortune of being there through it all. Would I turn back the hands of time and return to being a full-time "career woman"? For me, the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT! HOME is where my heart is and I'm proud to say that "I'm just a MOM!"...and so much more!

April
April

Hello, I'm April, welcome to my blog. I look at every day as an adventure and an opportunity to laugh and to learn. You will soon discover that my family and my faith are at the heart of who I am.

14 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

April you are wonderful and right where you should be. You're a blessed family and your daughters are beautiful young ladies. You've done good Mom.

Warmly, ~Melissa

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi April
You are an amazing Mom. Your lovely daughters are certain proof of that :)
Being 'just a Mom' the most wonderful job in the world.
I was 'just a Mom' until Jessica started school and ever since I have only worked 16 hours so I am still there for her before and after school which is so important to me. I wouldn't change a thing either if I could turn back the clock.
You keep going at 'just being a Mom', you are one of the most loving and caring Moms I have the priviledge to know.
Lindsay
x

Robin Beck said...

You need to learn how to say, "I AM a mom." Get rid of the just because there is no just about it.

From the time I was little I knew I wanted to be a mom. My mom asks if I regret not going to school and I can honestly say, "no, not one bit." I believe God put me on the earth to raise these kids and be a good wife to my husband.
People have never treated me with anything but respect. I truly believe giving your all to your family is the hardest job on earth.
So God bless you April-God and Family are what will matter in the end.
Love,
Me

Blondie's Journal said...

I have always been proud to call myself a Stay At Home Mom. I wanted to be the one that they came home to and who they saw first thing in the morning and last thing at night. It has been a win/win situation for all of us. Even now that they are older...I am finding more time for ME, but I am always there for THEM and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Great post, April!

XO,
Jane

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks for stopping in! Your blog is great--and I agree--we are not JUST moms--what better thing to be! There is nothing more godly and blessed. I'm a follower!

Joy@TPMG said...

This was such a poignant post! Your right we are so much more than just moms!I finished my master's in teaching and got pregnant later that year. I have been out of the classroom for almost four years and I always said I would go back but now I'm pregnant with number 3 and I can't imagine not being home and being there.

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I stayed home full-time for eight glorious years, and I've worked part time ever since (with the exception of this year). I loved every moment, and if I could quit my job today to be home again, I would! There's nothing better than being there whenever your kids need you!

-stephanie- said...

Amen girl!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I loved this post...very well written! I think you made the right choice! You have a relationship with your girls like I do with mine. I truly believe it's because we are/were always there! That's why I chose to quit college and drive a school bus.

You're an amazing woman & mother! :)

Mimi N said...

I absolutely adore the time of my life I was able to stay at home with my kids. 4 yrs ago I had to go back to work because of the economy and separating from my husband. I had been a SAHM for 15 yrs for the most part. There were a few times I worked short term jobs, but for the most part it was being home. It was amazing.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized God had made me to be a SAHM. I had spent so long trying to figure out what "job" I was supposed to do and I had already been doing it! LOL

~Mimi visiting from SITS

Paula said...

April~ you are amazing woman and a wonderful mother!

Cyndy Bush said...

I love this post! I have been both a working mom and SAHM. I would not trade my SAHM time for anything in the world. There is nothing more important and more valuable than being a mom to your children!

Anonymous said...

And you are such a great Mom April! You inspire me to be a better Mommy! : ) I am thankful that I get to work most days. Sometimes I do wish I could be the room mom and do all of the things you get to do. I know God gives us all a special calling. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Mrs4444 said...

Our first teacher is our mom. Sounds like you've taken your job very seriously and your girls are benefitting from it :)