Of course, teenage girls often have a tendency to not be very, how shall we say it, tidy? They try on clothes, decide they don't want to wear them for one reason or another, then, rather than hanging the clothes back up, they just toss them on the floor or leave them strewn all over their bed. Gotta love that, right? Oh, and let's not mention the makeup that they can't seem to remember how to put away after they've used it? Yes, I have one of those teenage girls living in my home. Now, to Abby's defense, she does get up every morning during the week at 5:30 AM...and I'm hear to tell you that's no walk in the park! In fact, I can pretty much guarantee you that making my bed and putting away my makeup and clothes at that early hour is the last thing on my mind!
So, later in the morning after she's ventured off to school, here's the scene I often find...and I realize it could be so much worse.
Now, she's usually pretty good about putting things back in their place once she gets home from school, if she isn't dog-tired, that is. Nonetheless, I realize that I have to keep things in perspective. For, you know, one day all too soon, I'll walk to the end of the halfway and peek in her room and find that everything is neat and tidy...just like Brittany's room. It looks like no one has been in there for months on end.
I know it will be at that very moment when I'll wish to have back all of the drama and messiness for just one more day. Funny the kind of things you miss once they're all gone.




17 comments:
That bathroom is super clean compared to my daughter's bathroom.
I admit that when my brother moved to Indiana and the girls were no longer with me three weekends a month, I kinda missed the toys that were scattered in the living room by the toy box and the mess of three girls in my bathroom. But at 18 they are still teenage-messy when they visit now. When does the teen messy end?? :)
I somehow missed the teenage drame with my daughter. Not sure how it happened and I am sure my parents wish she would have given me a little drama as payback for my teenage years. The tidyness, however, is a total different story. I am afraid she is going to end up on an episode of Hoarders one day- It's THAT bad! I just shut her bedroom door, my stress level can't handle it!
Oh yes, I remember those days. It could be worse - DD was content to live in teenaged girl squalor 24/7/365. ;-)
Plus she was a liberal user of hair spray in an effort to tame her unruly hair. I mean liberal - and hair spray is essentially plastic, which means that after enough time, we had plastic coated walls in her bathroom.
Still I miss those days ... but on the other hand I love the woman that DD has become and of course there's always the grands that she has provided me. ;-)
Actually, if I had walked in and found my girls' rooms looking like Abby's I would have been thrilled. There was far messier and they didn't clean it up when they came home either. haha But I learned that was what doors were for and I tried not to worry too much about it. It made for a much more peaceful home. :)
I have 4 boys, well actually they are men now in their 30's. Their bathroom and bedrooms always were a disaster. I just walked by and closed their doors....lol
Oh I totally know this first hand!
I used to shut the doors just so I wouldn't see the mess and then I shut the doors so I couldn't see the clean.
Now that Miss K.A. is back, she shuts the doors. Ha.
So true...
when the grand boys are here & our house is chaos & toys everywhere, I think I'll be happy for some peace & quite for a minute... & then they leave & that minute feels like an eternity... bring back the chaos :)
totally agree with all this, however, my 15-year-old daughter's room is much worse
Our daughter gets up at 5:30am too, and she is not a happy camper having to get up that early! She's almost 15, and we love her dearly, but oh how I can relate to your 1+1comment! Ha!
Thanks for sharing this post. It truly does put things into persepective. :)
Yes I do remember those days very well!
Oh, that was one of the wonderful things when our kids were grown and gone - everything stayed neat and tidy once again. :o) And, it really will be over so much quicker than you realize but there truly is a lot to be said for "the empty nest." A tough adjustment but once adjusted, it's great time of life. Happy week!
Don't feel alone, my Abby is going to be 22 and her room looks worse than this. My sister was also messy as a teen and now she has the most perfect home, you could eat off her floors. There IS hope!! And like you, I spend a lot of time loving their presence, because it all goes by so quick
XO,
Jane
wise words my friend! i am constantly repeating to myself how much i am going to miss these challenging toddler days....all too soon i'll be in your shoes with teenagers and grown children! time is a funny thing and so is perspective! =) thanks for the timely reminder!
Sweet post.
Oh, April~ you make me want to cry... and I don't even have kids! *haha*
Yes, you better just enjoy that mess, and the drama that goes along with it... :)
I am so familiar with those photos! In fact your girl's bedroom looks very clean compared to my girl's room. The only time her room is clean and neat is when she is away at college. I can only imagine what her room looks like there! Cute post.
Post a Comment