Monday, August 6, 2012

A Brand New Start

Good morning, my friends!  Well, we had a fun and memorable vacation in Hilton Head, SC.  As soon as I can find a few free moments (or days!) to sit down and edit all of the pictures I took, I'll write several posts about our trip. Since we returned, there has never been a dull moment around here!  We had a surprise birthday party for my mother-in-law over the weekend in South Carolina.  She'll be 75 on the 19th.


As you can tell by the look on her face, she was blown away when she walked into the room filled with 40+ friends and family. 

 
Beyond that, I've been trying to get the girls all geared up for the start of school.  Buying school clothes for a 15 yr. old and a 20 yr. old can be the challenge of a lifetime!  I'm not kidding...I have never been so exhausted in my entire life!  Often times, what they think is cute, I just shake my head at and what I think is cute usually gets this response..."Mom...are you SERIOUS?"  I think it would be so much easier if we'd had boys!

Needless to say, today was the big day for Abby.  My alarm sounded at 5 AM...much too early, if you ask me! I walked into her room and told her it was time to rise and shine!  She didn't move a muscle!  This should come as no surprise from someone who's been known to snooze in all summer long past 11 AM. It took me about 5 tries to get her up and moving.  She made it downstairs around 6 AM, just in time to scarf down some scrambled eggs and buttered toast before the bus arrived at 6:15 AM.

I insisted on taking a picture of her as she prepared to head off to 10th grade...


Just doesn't seem possible.  You know, I've had the awesome privilege of being a mom for the past 20+ years.  However, there is one sight I don't think I'll ever get used to...watching the school bus pull away from the front of our house.  Puts a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye every single year. I hope and pray that Abby has a great start to the new school year!  Can't wait until she comes home this afternoon...I miss her already!  Brittany leaves for college on the 15th.  I'm sure that will stir up a whole new set of emotions. Just never gets any easier to say "goodbye".

I'm still hoping to get back to my regular blogging sometime after Brittany leaves.  Until then, I plan to milk every last second we have together for all it's worth!  Miss y'all!  

April
April

Hello, I'm April, welcome to my blog. I look at every day as an adventure and an opportunity to laugh and to learn. You will soon discover that my family and my faith are at the heart of who I am.

18 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I bet you're so proud of them both! :)

And I hope your mother-in-law had a wonderful time at her birthday.

Can't wait to see the holiday pics, I love to get inspiration for trips.

jamie said...

You have such a lovely family, April. Hope you guys had an awesome birthday celebrations ;)

mrsbonnbonn.com said...

awe, my baby starts pre school in sep and I get the lump in my throat too! found you via sits:)

Kimberly said...

My Ashley is home now for good so no more saying goodbye to her! Lindsey is in Myrtle Beach this week on vacation with friends. It was hard to say goodbye to her even though she is never home. Just knowing she isn't close by makes me sad.
Looking forward to seeing your vacation pictures!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I can't wait to see your vacation pictures. I love that look on your MIL's face ... she certainly doesn't look 75. Enjoy your days with your girls ... that's far more important than your checking in with us ... we'll be here when you get back to regular blogging.

Sandy said...

Sending them off to school always makes me a little teary-eyed as well. Only a few more weeks of summer left for us. :(

Stacy said...

Our school days have been over for a couple of years now, but the leaving never gets easier. It's just as hard to watch them pull out of the driveway to go home as it was watching that bus.

Wow! I hope I look as good as your mother-in-law when I am 75. She looks fantastic. :)

mysteryhistorymom said...

I want to hear more about Hilton Head! I've always wanted to go there!:) Loved hearing about your shopping adventures. Katie and I still agree on clothes but I'm sure that is (sadly) short lived.:( Big hugs, April! Lori

Mistakenly Misunderstood said...

WOW she looks so grown all of a sudden! And so pretty! My 8 year old started 3rd grade today :( In a way I got kinda lucky on the new school clothes shopping because they have to wear uniforms around here :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your sweet comments this morning. I'm feeling your pain, my Friend. Will we ever be able to let go? I. Think. Not.

Hugs!!!

Paula said...

I just LOVE surprise parties, April! (Unless I'm the recipient... *haha*)
This summer has just flown by... everyone I know is talking "back to school" and I can't wrap my mind around it.
Hope Abby and Brittany have a wonderful year!

Rebecca D said...

I hear you on the shopping for older teenage girls... We drove 45 minutes away to shop and spent six hours shopping, so you can imagine the surprised look on my husbands face when we came home with one pair of jeans, two pairs of sandals, a few bras and a pair of ear rings... He really didn't get why I called the day a success... Men!?!

Lois Christensen said...

Glad you're back! Your mother in law looks great! And she does look really surprised. That's an early bus! Our son gets on the bus at 6:35 and that starts in 2 weeks. Our girl leaves next Friday and I know I'm going to fall apart as well. Enjoy your day and the last few days with Brittany!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi April, it's such a lovely picture of Abby. Glad you had a good trip. I look forward to hearing all about it.
Lindsay
x

FrouFrouBritches said...

Your MIL sure looked surprised. How fun!

Abby looks beautiful, as usual. I can't believe y'all started school already. We have one more week before we start.

Can't wait to hear about your vacation.

Panamamama said...

Emily starts 10th grade next week. They are growing up too fast!

SmilingSally said...

Hi April,

I'm dropping by to keep in touch.

It is hard to believe that Abby begins 10th grade.

Your MIL looks so pretty and YOUNG. Thanks for sharing.


Anonymous said...

I am glad that y'all had a great vacation! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Sound like your MIL really enjoyed her surprise birthday party.

I hope Abby & Brittany have a great year!