Friday, September 11, 2009

On An Emotional Rollercoaster!

The reality is beginning to hit me square in the face...Brittany will be graduating from high school in only 8 short months. Try as I might, there is nothing I can do to stop it. Time marches on.

This week, I've spent a huge amount of time filling out athletic recruiting forms for her. This Saturday after her meet, in fact, we'll be meeting with the head cross country coach at a university here in Georgia to discuss a possible athletic scholarship. Though I'm super excited about it...part of me still wishes it wasn't so. I want to just bury my head in the sand. Ahh...if it were only that easy, but that isn't how you deal with LIFE. You have to face things head on...and with a lot of faith, support, and perseverance, you're able to accept and deal with whatever LIFE throws your way.

Yesterday, I sent in the order for Brittany's yearbook ad. Over the past few days, I've looked through piles of photos in an attempt to find the perfect ones to put in the yearbook. The memories came flooding back. The day I brought her home from the hospital and how escstatic I was to, finally, be a mother! Oh, and then there was her first dance recital and how she looked like a little angel up on that stage. There were pictures of Christmases, vacations, birthday parties, and so much more. That was a hard enough task, but then I had to write a 50-word paragraph to go along with them. How do you possibly compile all of your feelings and emotions for your child into one small paragraph? Every time I attempted to put words to paper, the tears began to flow and I'd have to stop and compose myself. All sorts of raw emotions came to the surface. Have I told her enough over the years how proud I am of her and how much she means to me? Have I given her enough hugs, kisses, and pats on the back? OK, see...I'm crying, again! The logical side of me knows that this is really only the beginning of many wonderful things that will happen. However, the emotional side of me isn't ready to let go...not yet...not now...not EVER! I can promise you that this journey I'm now on is one of the hardest things I've ever been faced with, and I've been through a lot in my life. Then to think that I'll have it to do all over, again, when Abby graduates in only 5 short years!

As I sit here, I think about all the things I'm going to miss the most when Brittany goes away to college...
*Her infectious laughter and her silly sense of humor.
*Our early morning talks before school.
*Making sure she's awake every morning, even if it is 5:15 AM.
*Hearing her bolt in the house after practice asking, "Hey, Mom, what are we having for dinner?"
*Having her come to me for advice.
*Going shopping together and out to lunch. She loves Chick Fil-A as much as I do!
*Cheering her on at cross country and track meets.
*Giving her a kiss goodbye every morning as she heads off to school.
*Making her lunch for school and, sometimes, including notes to motivate and encourage her.

The list goes on and on! More than anything, though, I'm simply going to miss her presence. I'm determined to do the best I know how to keep it all together for Brittany's sake. I know how excited she is about finding her own way in this world and I will love and support her every step of the way. So, for now, I'm holding on tight as this rollercoaster called LIFE takes me through dips, turns, and loops. However, just maybe there will come a day when I'm able to loosen my grip...and LET GO!

April
April

Hello, I'm April, welcome to my blog. I look at every day as an adventure and an opportunity to laugh and to learn. You will soon discover that my family and my faith are at the heart of who I am.

31 comments:

Denise said...

Sweetie, you will never totally cut those heart strings, they are attached for life. Your relationship will change, but it will continue to grow stronger. She will always love you, and need you. You are such a wonderful mom.

ClassyChassy said...

You posted with great feelings and emotions today - I believe she will do great in life, and you will be just fine! Blessings on your continued journey....

SmilingSally said...

Yep, birdie's got to fly.

Darlene said...

I know you are going to miss her so much but she will always be a phone call away. You have done such a superb job of raising her that you know she has a level head and will continue to strive for great success. I can't even imagine what it will be like when that day comes for Lexi....I'll be a basket case!!!

I'll be praying for strength for you to "hold it together" when you need to April.♥

Sit A Spell said...

What a great post...she will always be your little girl, no matter how old she is. That's what my mama tells me and well, um, I'm kinda old! : )

Queenie Jeannie said...

Oh honey!! I'm sniffling along with you!!!!! I know exactly what you are going through because I just went through all of it with Alex. The yearbook ad was soooo hard! I understand about the memories and spending a crazy about of time thinking about them all, and boo hooing over a pile of pictures, lol!

It's hard. It hurts. It's scary. But on graduation day your heart will nearly burst with pride!!! Hang in there Mama!!

Rebecca Jo said...

Bless your heart... just dont focus on the end yet.. enjoy EVERY day you have in these 8 months!!!

I just love that you two are so close... most parents are ready for their kids to get out & experience life & definitely most kids are ready to shed the parents... but your relationship says so much about your family. And that's what's going to keep her grounded & her heart with you ALWAYS - no matter where she is!

Pam D said...

Oh dear. I need a tissue now; I'm crying with you and for you.. and maybe for all of us moms. But Denise said it well; she will ALWAYS be your daughter.. years and even distance will not change that or take away the memories. As for whether you did enough or did it well enough? April, sit down, go to the first entry in your blog, and read it. SO much of it is about your sweet girls and your wonderful family life. Hand over my heart, pinky-promise... you will get an A+ from God on THIS particular assignment! And one day, when you look into the face of your first grandchild, it will all come full circle again.
hugs...blessings... much love..

Tina said...

April:

I so know how you feel...it is hard to let them go. I will tell you it does not get any easier...and once they are married and have their own families you still worry and now you have more to worry about..their spouse, their children etc. LOL

Enjoy this last year....

Loved your comment on my blog...actually you are such a loyal blog friend and you always make my day with your great comments...

We could so be IRL friends that is for sure...

~Hugs

Stacey said...

Girly, I am right there with you. My son Tanner is graduating this year...he is my youngest!! He is different from my older son too because the sky is the limit in his mind and there's just no telling what state he will end up in for college. We keep pushing Oklahoma City University but he looks far and wide.

Tanner is the lively, talkative one in our house. It will be mighty quiet without him.

Shelley said...

I'm sure you've prepared her well to go out into the world!! I'm sure it's sad and exciting at the same time!

Mommy Mac said...

Sweet April.

I am teared up.

I really resonated with the "Have I told her enough..."

It makes me happy that you have given all of you to her by staying home with her.

It makes me think that my path is on the right track too.

I CANNOT even imagine the letting go part.

Love holds on forever no matter what though.

.mac :)

michele said...

Treasure these next 8 months! I am sure seeing your daughter graduate and move on will make you so proud, but so sad too! I am sure it is an emotional rollercoaster! Be proud of these sweet, responsible girls you are raising. with love, Michele

Heather said...

aww you will be ok. you'll find new ways to connect while she's away. phone calls, emails, visits, you name it! my mom did that with my sister. my parents came up with all sorts of reasons to visit her several times throughout the year :)

Aubs said...

I almost cried reading this....i cannot even begin to imagine how hard it must be! I will be praying for you over these next months...for peace and that you can just enjoy the time you have with her this year!! HUGS!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

April, this is the sweetest post. I'm thinking of you. Just remember this poem, "Your son is your son till he takes him a wife, but your daughter's your daughter for the rest of her life." There's a lot of truth there.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Sue said...

I know that it will be hard....been there two times. It wasn't easy with either. I remember when my son married and moved out of state I didn't let him see me cry, but when I walked back inside my house I thought my heart would break. Being a mom isn't easy, but God gets us through these times. You have done a wonderful job raising your daughters and when the time comes that Brittany leaves for college, His (God's) grace will be what you need.

Rune said...

We are making our blog private
If you would like to continue following our blog, contact me so that I can send you an invite.

W

Susan said...

Hugs to you! I can't even begin to think about my girls going off to college...Brittany's been given such a head start by having such a wonderful family...

Jennifer said...

And - now you are making ME cry!! Our hearts never really stop wanting them right here at home..or, at least, it hasn't for me yet!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Well, I would love to say that this will end.

However, I am sure this emotional roller coaster will continue through the year! What a wonderful relationship you have with your girls. How did you get that????

sandy toe

Beth in NC said...

You have me crying AGAIN. April! It is 6:25am -- too early for me to be crying.

I pray that this transition won't be as difficult as you're imagining.

Bless you sweet April.
Beth

Beth in NC said...

You have me crying AGAIN. April! It is 6:25am -- too early for me to be crying.

I pray that this transition won't be as difficult as you're imagining.

Bless you sweet April.
Beth

Anonymous said...

:( Wah!!

wife.mom.nurse said...

You always make me cry with your tenderness for your lovely daughters.

Praying for smooth transitions and the courage to move forward and for peace for your future, that you will always feel so very close to your girls no matter where they are and in all circumstances.

You inspire me to be a better mother.

~Julie

Anonymous said...

Aww.. I know this will be such a huge change for you! Enjoy these next 8 months!

Jodi said...

Girl, I know this will be hard for you, but I know that you will be ok! It will be a new chapter for you and your daughter, but I really believe all of these years have laid a faithful foundation for you both to stand on. We'll all be here for you!((hugs))

Daphine said...

I read this one before and thought I commented....hmmmm... oh well!

Girl, I am totally feeling you on this and I am also feeling sad that Morgan now wants to drive her own car to most places that we go now. This part in life is just not fair!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Oh, this is so sweet, and bittersweet too. My son is a junior...I know how you feel.

Lindsay-ann said...

I really can't imagine what it will feel like for you when Brittany goes away to college. Jessica was only away for 1 night on Saturday and that was traumatic enough, but that's another story!
Lindsay
x

missy said...

ugh.......i know what you are saying......everything taylor does she says.....this will be the last first time i do this!?!?!?!?!??!
i do not want to think about it!!!!!
thursday she is on the homecoming court and i think that will be my first true taste of the oh my gosh.....this is it feeling!!!!!! she is all grown up!!!!!
hang in there......we can do this together!!!!!