However, it really made me think about the commonality between human mothers and mama birds. Anytime I've felt that my girls have been wrongly treated, my feathers get ruffled and I do whatever I can to protect and defend them. They both know they can always depend on me to stand up for them, if and when they can't do it for themselves. I always have their backs...always will! Whether it's been unjust teachers, overly strict coaches, or school bullies, I have come to my girls' defense. Well, that's no different than that sparrow we encountered. She probably felt that we were going to harm her babies and she let us know, in no uncertain terms, to BACK OFF...and we did! The point is...you don't mess with a mama when it comes to her children! Have you ever had a time when you've had to step up and defend your child for one reason or another?
“Whatever they grow up to be, they are still our children, and the one most important of all things we can give them is unconditional love. Not a love that depends on anything at all except that they are our children."~Rosaleen Dickson

34 comments:
OK. That's hilarious and I most likely would have done the exact same thing!
yes, you are so right.....I have had several instances where I've done the same thing as the mamma sparrow! Don't mess with a mamma and her babies, right? :)
Suzanne
What a good life lesson from the bird. I'm just glad it wasn't a blue jay. They can really hurt. I was swooped by one in college who had made her nest on the front of the campus. You've never seen so many students running to avoid a pecking! I admire you defending your children because I know you are just as quick to punish when they have done wrong. You're fair, April, and that's important because it teaches your kids fairness.
Likewise, God is also quick to defend if we let Him. :-)
XO,
Sheila :-)
Oh yes! Plenty of times. I can certainly relate to animal mamas in the wild! lol..My mom did the same for us though, she taught me well. :)
That is a precious story, April, and yes, I have had to defend my children....especially my tender hearted Josh who would never stand up for himself...then one day he hit 6 ft tall and it all seemed to work out! lol
Love ya!
Hi April
The bird story is so funny. I am sure we all as mothers have some inbuilt instinct to protect our children throughout their whole lives. I know on several occasions Tim and I have had approach the school about things and we always stood our ground!
On the subject of birds we were once at a beach in Cornwall and the seagulls were very bold. One swooped down and took a cheese sandwich right out of Tim's hand. It all happened so quickly and we were so surprised. It was so funny.
Lindsay
x
love this post!!!!!!
ahhhh being a mother......i too get my feathers ruffled from time to time!!!!!!! my husband thinks i am a bit over the top sometimes....but that is just what moms do!??!!??!?!
Uhh- You better believe it!
Great post and kinda comical with the description!!
That is too funny, and you know that I would have for sure done the same thing. Not just in pulling the prank on my daughter, but always coming to her defense too! Just an example of what a GREAT mom you are!
Love and Prayers,
Tim
The great thing about that bird mom is that she knows when she needs to defend... AND she knows when it's time to let go and push those babies out of the nest! I think that's the part that gets confusing for parents nowdays... when is it time to let go? But from what I've seen on your blog, you seem to have struck the right balance between defending and holding accountable. You're a great mom!
You made a really good point, April! This was a great analogy. Since I have known you, it has been obvious that your girls are your highest priority. I have no doubt that you will come through for them time and time again!
xoxo
Jane
As a matter of fact, I do it all the time. When my girls have a problem with a bullying girl at school or someone corrects them, I do feel a little edgy.
Although I would have done the same thing you did to Abby. Just to get a good laugh :)
I'm afraid of birds! I would have been running like a crazy woman. Yes, I definitely know the feeling of wanting to protect my children. The hard part is knowing when to step back and let them fight their own battles - I'm not very good at that.
Great story and great illustration for our lives as mothers. I love my little bird too. He is my heart.
April:
First thanks for the comment and letting me know I am not alone in what I continue to see. Sometimes as a mother you can begin to question....OK I am I seeing the same thing everyone else is seeing...and if so why do I see this so different!
I AGREE 100% with your thoughts about protecting our children...my daughters are now grown up with children of their own and I now protect the next generation...it never ends!
Love the QUOTE and I am going to borrow it if you don't mind!
I really enjoy your writing and I feel like some bloggers I connect with because they parent the way I parent....not that different styles aren't OK. Just that it is so nice to find moms who think like you think....
Have a GREAT week...
Me, a mama bird, naw. no way...
GRIN.
"I feel a whooop coming on...a whoop coming on...."
.mac :)
The bird was just protecting what was hers.
It might have happened to me once, but I wouldn't have stood there again. Birds can be dangerous.
We mamas USUALLY protect our young. LOL
Great example....
Oh...my...yes! Oh yes...this mamma has had her feathers ruffled!
sandy toe
Now THAT would have made a funny Vlog post. Next time, take your camera. hee hee
I totally understand. I feel that way over my husband too. I become a mama bear.
That is funny. You are a wonderful mother bird April. Your girls are so lucky to have you! I love the hike idea - sounds so fun!
XOXO
Jen
I bet you did get a giggle out of that one. :)
My DH calls it my Mama Bear syndrome.. My claws come out and I start to growl.. I don't like NO ONE messin with my cubs..LOL
I've would have asked my daughter to stand there too!
That is really funny.
What a cute story!!! :)
I'd have done the same thing! How funny. Great story.
That is so true, April... some Momma's are ferocious! (Like Banty hens for example!)
Hi April, your story reminded me of the time Kathleen and I were out walking in a park and were charged by a Canada goose. It was so big and mean charging towards us and hissing--boy did we ever run!
You are so funny, making her get dive bombed too! naughty mommy. But it did make for a good analogy.
That is too funny!
This was a bit funny. And yes, I have had to defend my girls on several occassions. Unfortunately, when defending your kiddos....you really do turn into a different person. I do anyhow. lol!
I would have love to have seen this...cute story! Can't mess with mama's baby!
lol, i probably would have done the same to whomever i was with- not ella though! i'd be afraid the bird would take off with her, lol! but definitely nathan had he been there, teehee!
Post a Comment