On Christmas Eve, we sat down and watched the movie "Mamma Mia". I didn't care as much for the movie as I did the music. I love ABBA's songs and there was a scene in the movie that brought me to tears. Meryl Streep sang an ABBA song to her daughter called "Slipping Through My Fingers". Boy, did it ever ring true for some of the emotions I'm feeling knowing that Brittany will soon graduate from high school and leave the nest. I realize, from that point on, things will never quite be the same, again. Then, not long after, Abby will be on her way, too.
My girls have always been my heart and soul. Oh, I'm not perfect by any means, and I have made plenty of mistakes. However, I would lay down my life for my daughters...they are so precious to me!
Without a doubt, I'd have to say the hardest part about being a parent is letting go. As a mother, it seems to go against nature, but it has to happen...no matter how hard we try to stop it.
As you watch this video, really listen to the words. I can't get through it without crying... describes me to a tee.
Hope you have a fun and safe New Year! May 2009 be a great year for us all! God Bless!

24 comments:
Hi April!! I went to see this movie at the theater at my mom when it came out and she was balling too!! I admit, I couldn't hold back the tears because I thought of my own daughters. Well, my oldest daughter is still only 11, but the movie portrays their relationship so beautifully!! My mom loved the music too, and we bought her the DVD for Christmas! I get sad too when I think that my kids will be on their own one day. Time goes by so fast, and I just pray that they will always want to visit me!!!!!!!
I am crying as I type this why is it so hard to let them go! And why does it go by so fast.
Time does go by way too quickly!
Thank you for your kind words today. I really appreciate the support:)
God Bless,
Sandy
Here's hoping that you have a wonderful new year and looking forward to what is in store in 2009! Jackie
I really enjoyed going to see the Broadway earlier this year then seeing the movie in the summer and again last week when DK gave it to me for my birthday. I guess you can say it was the year of Mamma Mia! for us! This is such a touching scene and song. I think back to my own wedding day. Before I know it I'll be the mamma and my girls will be the bride....
Oh my... my boy is only 8 and it STILL puts a lump in my throat! But April, from what I can see, you have done a wonderful job of "bringing up your girls without putting them down"... and they will ALWAYS come home to you! always... (I'm not, however, guaranteeing that they won't be draggin' some grubby old boy behind them....)
Such a great song. Bless your dear, dear heart.
I felt the same way when I saw this in the movies April. My three are all out of the house now. It's a hard transition as a mom I think, but very rewarding to see the young adults your children have become.
I guarantee you it is hard to let go. But we have too. It was hard when my son moved out of state. He lives closer to you than he does to me. And then my daughter moved out of state also. I never dreamed my kids would move so far away. It just depends on where life takes them. Now I miss them so much, it hurts sometimes and I get into a depressed state now and then. Enjoy your daughters while you can. You always will, but appreciate this time with them still under your roof.
I know it's hard when your kids leave home but there is something to be said about the empty nest. Now I am so used to the empty nest that I get mad when people invade it. Ha! It's fun to get to know your husband again after so many years of everything being about the kids. I hope I have many, many more years with Mike and a few more grandbabies.
April,
I am really looking forward to seeing this movie. Even though I don't have children, scenes like that still get me all teary eyed. Maybe it's the what "could have been". Bryan and I have never wanted children. However as I am getting older I wonder if it's something we will regret....
Fortunately, I have wonderful nieces and a nephew that I can watch grow and mature. And of course there is my great friend, Wayne and his son and future children. So maybe I am more blessed than I realize. :o)
Happy New Year's Eve!!
Hello April...Thanks for visiting my blog so I could find yours... You have raised 2 beautiful daughters and I am sure they will make you proud as young women when they leave the nest...remember the old saying:
A son is a son until he takes a wife...a daughter is a daughter all of her life!
Come by to visit me anytime...I'm adding you to my blog list. ;-) Bo
Good Morning April,
Yep, I find myself struggling lately with the thoughts of Morgan leaving in a couple of years too!
I've heard alot about this movie and would like to see it too.
Unfortunately, my computer was not able to play the video. So, I will listen to it on Dirk's computer later today.
Blessings to you friend and Happy New Year!
PS...I can't wait to check the mail today to see if Stella has made it.
what a great song! i feel for you. I have a ways to go before Ella leaves the nest, but believe me I already don't want it to happen, lol! My mom was talking about how different it is when you first one leaves home (me) and how something simple like Christmas shopping without said child in tow takes on a whole different feel. She was telling me to hold onto Ella tight and enjoy every moment with her I can. I hope you have a wonderful New Year! I'll be baking cookies and playing the Wii :)
I am already there!! It is the hardest thing, EVER!!
When I saw this movie in the theater I cried like a baby when she sang this song!
Thanks for stopping by my blog...I just watched this with MY daughter Brittney..who just left for college this last fall...I can sooo relate to your feelings of letting go...and watching them grow....It's hard...but we have to let them spread their wings...
I saw the show in Las Vegas and was moved to tears as well when this song came on. I got the movie for Christmas so we watched it the other night and I knew the song was coming so I told myself to not cry. Then I looked over at my 14 year old daughter and lost it! :-) It is only something mothers can understand.
April,
I've already had my daughter slip through my fingers.....she's been gone for years now. It is one of the hardest things, that's for sure!
This song was a tear jerker. Thanks for the warning..I had the Kleenex handy and sure did need them! sigh...
I wish you a Happy New Year, my friend.
Hi April
We love that movie and watched it again yesterday evening as my BIL had not seen it. Jessica has seen it 4 times at the cinema and 2 times at home! That song you mentioned is my favorite. Jessica's choir sang it at the school Christmas concert and yes it does bring tears to your eyes.
We are watching Mr Beans Holiday this evening. Have you seen it? It's a very funny film.
Happy New Year.
Lindsay
April, I would love to watch it but I just can't start crying again. I have been crying all morning : (. I don't know whats the matter today. Thinking about Kaishon growing up always makes me sad. I will be praying for you next year as Brittany leaves for college!
Hi April,
When I saw your post title I started singing that song in my head. I saw it at the movie and I got it for Christmas. Just a fun, light-hearted movie that I enjoyed. I LOVE that song and though Lexi is only 9 (going on 18) I think about that too. What about the day she will leave home....sniff..sniff
I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year's Eve. I am so glad I "met" you and look forward to more blogging with you in 2009!
I came over to wish my bloggy friend..Happy New year! Now I am all teared up...how sweet!!! I have not seen Mia Mamma..but after seeing this video I want too!
Wishing you a 2009...looking forward to blogging with you!
-sandy toes
What a beautiful, touching song...and yep, I'm crying now!
The empty nest is a very hard thing to go through, having just experienced it myself. It does get better with time but nothing is better than having your children home safe and under your roof. Once a mother, always a mother.
Oh, how I bawled! And I have two boys. People expect you to give them up gracefully.
I don't see that happening.
Post a Comment