Well, two years ago today, I lost my dad at the age of 82. He was one of the strongest and most honorable men I've ever known. He taught me so much about life and love. He enjoyed having a good ol' belly laugh more than anybody. He was extremely intelligent and well-read and was always up for an intellectual challenge. Through his example, I learned what it means to love someone with all your heart and soul. He provided excellent care for my mom and brother in their final days and was the most selfless person I've ever come across. I miss him dearly, but I know his presence is still with me in many ways.
This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of Dad.
Over this past year, I have seen God really working in my life. He's given me a sense of self-assurance that I can't describe. I suppose I just feel very centered right now and so very thankful for how far I've come. I know that God has big plans for my life in the coming year as a wife, mother, sister, friend, and as a Christian. I intend to make more memories than my heart and mind can handle. I want to be fervent about exercising because it's so good for the body and soul. Nothing clears my mind more than going for a run or a brisk walk. I want to be a better example of what it is to be compassionate and empathetic. There are so many hurting people in this world and, sometimes, all it takes is one outstretched hand to make a difference.
So, as you can see, my journey this past year is really only the beginning. I can hardly wait to see what 2009 has in store for me! I wish you all the best in the New Year, and I'm so looking forward to getting to know all of you better!


17 comments:
That was a beautiful post, April! I also look forward to getting to know you better. Blessings to you in 2009...
Lori
(Ruby Red Slippers)
Happy New Year!A wonderful post...again!
-sandy toes
That was a very beautiful post. Thank you for sharing :)
I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!
I just got caught back up with your past posts. I love the way you are so true to your feelings. That's the only way I know to be even in my blog. You are so strong and I am so glad you are my Friend!!
Happy New Year.
April
Thank you for this post. It has helped me today to know that I am not the only one missing my Dad.
I am looking forward to 2009 and continuing our friendship.
Happy New Year.
Lindsay
What a handsome man your dad was, and I know he'd be very proud of this post and of you! It's been almost 14 years since my dad died, and I STILL tear up sometimes when I see the back of a man's head that looks like Dad. And yes, I still miss him. I think I may just have to do a "Dad" post sometime soon; thanks for the inspiration. You are a sweetheart!
what a great post. I hope you have a wonderful New Years April! I love the picture of your dad. Very cute!
April, that was such a moving post about your dad. I too look forward to getting to know you better in our journey of 2009!♥
That is such a beautiful post...I needed it. Maybe you wrote it just for me! I think God gives us things for different people. I am so glad I found you this year. I hope we all are better people this new year!
Beautiful tribute to your father. I got the goose bumps reading it. The strong love is so obvious. I am blessed to still have both of my parents. Both are 78 years old. I try to always give them a hug each time I see them and again when I leave. Because I know someday I won't be able to do that. Happy New Year! I look forward to getting to know you better in 2009.
This was just beautiful, April! I REALLY enjoyed reading this! Love the picture of your dad. What a great picture! You have totally inspired me tonight with your outlook for 2009. God bless you and I am believing with you for a great new year too!
Happy New Year my dear friend!
Love ya,
Daph
April,
I wish you and your family a wonderful New Year! I really love that picture of your Dad. I am sure it's hard not having him around. But always remember that it's only temporary. I have really enjoyed getting to know you this year and I look forward to many more.
Love,
Liz
What a beautiful post.
Happy New Year!
xoxo
You sweetly bless me my friend, praying for 2009 to be filled with many blessings for you. I love you.
Thank you for opening up your heart and sharing with us. I have loved getting to know you as well.
It is hard not having our dads with us anymore.
Happy New Year friend!!
What an inspirational post! I can't wait to see what God does with your life! I know it is going to be big! You have such a wonderful spirit! I was so thankful to know you were praying for Quince when he was in the rehab center! The day I went to see him and saw your card I cried. It was so kind of you.
Your dad was always one of my favorites of Steve's uncles! He was always a very special man. I thought about him alot at Steve's Dad's funeral. We miss him!
Sweet post April. I pray 2009 will be the best yet for you and Chris and your girls!
Post a Comment