Gotta love Wednesdays! Want to know why? It means it's time for Hodgepodge! If you'd like to join in, just click on the button and you'll be taken to Joyce's blog where you'll find a list of questions. Answer them on your own blog, link up, and that's all there is to it!
1. Are we always responsible for our actions? Are there any exceptions? I think the key word here is 'our'. Yes, I do think we are responsible for OUR own actions. Each of us has choices to make and we must realize that those choices have consequences; some good, some bad. The only exceptions I can think of is if someone FORCES you to do something against your will. Otherwise, in my mind, it's all on YOU!
2. Has anyone from your hometown become famous? Well, even though I was born in Wynne, AR., I consider my hometown to be Hot Springs/Hot Springs Village, AR. because that's where I grew up. Actor/director Billy Bob Thorton is from Hot Springs, AR. Pretty nifty, don't you think?
(Image Courtesy of Google)
3. January was National Slow Cooker Month. Do you own a slow cooker/Crock Pot? Did you use it last month? What's a favorite dish you use using a slow cooker/Crock Pot? Yes, I have a Crock Pot and this past weekend, I made pulled BBQ chicken in it. Talk about yummy with a side of cole slaw!
4. How do you feel about private companies collecting data about you? I guess I understand the reasoning behind, for the most part, but I sometimes feel it's a bit too invasive.
5. The Games of the 2014 Winter Olympics kick off with their opening ceremony this coming Friday...will you be watching? Which Winter Olympic event would you most like to see in person? Have you ever been to Russia? Any desire to go, Olympics or otherwise? I definitely plan to watch the opening ceremony. I love to see our American athletes parade in, as well as the athletes from countries all over the world. It's a moment of solidarity where we all come together for one common goal. I'd most like to see the snowboarding events in person, particularly Shaun White. How he does what he does is nothing short of AMAZING! The dude has some 'mad' skills! How do you like my snowboarding lingo?
(Image Courtesy of Google)
No, I have never been to Russia and have no real desire to ever visit there.
6. Share a good or bad sports related memory from your childhood or teen years. Well, I consider cheerleading to be a sport. I was a cheerleader in high school and my teammates and I were practicing building a 3-tier pyramid after school one afternoon. I, being the shortest one, was at the very top of the pyramid. As I was coming down, I stepped onto the foot of one of my teammates and fractured the bone that runs along the outside of my foot. I was in a cast for about 6 weeks. I had a doctor tell me I'd probably never cheer, again...boy, did I prove him wrong!
7. What's a must-have song for you on a work out playlist? If you don't work out, run, swim, bike, walk, or anything that would be construed as 'exercise', then what's a song that, at least, motivates you to get up off the couch? I love to listen to "Roll With the Changes" by REO Speedwagon, if you can believe that. Takes me right back to the 80's! I do listen to a lot of Contemporary Christian music, as well...Casting Crowns, Chris Tomlin, Sidewalk Prophets, Third Day, etc.
8. Insert your own random thought here. Did you happen to see the Biggest Loser finale last night? The contestants all looked so phenomenal and the amount of weight they had lost was staggering! I say, "Good for them" and, hopefully, that will be the beginning of a complete lifestyle change. I flipped back and forth between that and another show on TLC called My 600-lb Life. There was a 22 year-old young woman on it last night who weighed 637 lbs. It made my heart hurt. Her family, mainly her mom and husband, were enabling her by providing her with fast food, and lots of it. She ended up undergoing gastric bypass surgery to help her lose weight because she was, basically, bed-ridden. By the end of the show, I think she'd gotten down to the low 500's and that took a full year. I just hope and pray that her journey continues in a very positive manner and she continues to make progress.
Enjoy your Wednesday!




20 comments:
I love watching the biggest loser finales-- it's incredible what they are able to accomplish!
I haven't been able to watch for the last several seasons, but I'm moving to your Deep South later this year, so maybe I'll catch the next one :)
We watch Biggest Loser...I didn't think Rachel looked healthy. Technically her weight now is within the guidelines for her height, but we didn't think she looked good. A picture of the Jillian and Bob's faces when she came in is circulating on Twitter, and they look a little concerned too. Hopefully she'll put on a little muscle now that the contest is over. Tumi had lost an incredible amount of weight too, but looked so healthy!
I like Biggest Loser, but seldom watch it. My hubby doesn't like it and we usually watch TV together.
Have a great day!
I love Shaun White's nickname...Flying Tomato!
Ouch! I can picture your pyramid fall and fractured foot! I was a cheerleader and was usually in the middle tier because i was too scared to go higher! Ill be watching Shaun White.
Glad you proved the doctor wrong. You seem to have continued your cheerleading skills on into your life with your family, I think.
What a shame about the loser show. I have never watched it, but it's sad to think about people encouraging their loved ones to unhealthy actions and then "cheer"?? them on in it for fame ... money ...? Do people win money on that show?
How fun to have cheered in high school. Memories that will never be forgotten for sure. I watched biggest loser in the past, and can't say I didn't enjoy it, but it does bother me that they are pushed soo hard that I would think to keep it up forever would be soo difficult. Sometimes it just seems way too extreme to me. But the poor woman on the other show...600 + pounds, how sad. I often wonder how they can't see that a bed ridden person can only eat what you give them. It would seem like the perfect time to control their diet for them. Just sad. Enjoy your week!
I actually did a post on my running blog... I think Rachel looked sick.. not healthy. It made me sad actually.
The Flying Tomato -. he & Ricky could be twins - no joke.
I didn't watch the finale for the Biggest Loser, but I always find their before and after pics so inspirational!
I've never thought of making pulled bar-b-qued chicken, but I think I'll try it. Sounds yummy!
Hi April! Glad your hubby made it home safe and sound, Your Brittany sure looks like you...guess you hear that a lot! I live in Warner Robins...are you close? You have a lovely home and the snow makes it even prettier! I make bbq in my crock pot, too...yum! Thanks for visiting!
I would also consider cheerleading a sport. I wasn't one, but I know how much work it takes, and that you need to be a good athlete to make it on a team. Glad you proved the doctor wrong! It was another good Hodgepodge!!
I would get offended when I'd hear cheerleading isn't a sport. You're still exercising and burning calories so yes it is! :) I liked soccer and softball! Dancing wasn't my thing, I tried it because my mom wanted me to but I just never liked it and wasn't as good.
I will be taping the Olympic show each night and I am very excited to see Shaun White and I wish Apolo Ohno was competing but I hear he will be doing commentary. I don't watch The Biggest Loser but I've seen several things saying that the winner was a bad example because it's not healthy to lose that much weight and she was too skinny.
We sure enjoyed our week at Hot Springs Village this past December ... but had no idea BBT hailed from the area! Not that's he's someone I know much about - other than his marriage/relationship with Angelina Jolie! :)
We watched TBL and My 600 lb. Life last night too. I thought they all looked amazing but was blown away by Rachel! I love REO Speedwagon :)
Enjoyed your answers.
Billy Bob? Yes indeed!!!
As for your cheerleading mishap...I cringed just reading it. You proved 'em all wrong.
I love your answers. Cheerleading is definitely a sport. My niece did it all through high school and some of the acrobats she did were amazing. That's good you were able to bounce back after your injury. I watched the 'Biggest Loser' finale too. Everyone works so hard to get where they are now. I applaud them all.
Oh geez - here it is almost time for another HOdgepodge and I'm just now getting back to all of my "friends" who were so kind to stop by my page last week! I do so enjoy hearing from you every week! :-) Wow, that ultralight really does look like fun! I'd just be so afraid that I'd be carried off with a gust of wind and would end up in the middle of the Pacific ocean as the honored guest at a shark dining party... gee, I'm not dramatic at all... ;-) Hope the rest of your week has gone well - see you in a couple of days! :-)
Post a Comment