Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge


I sure have been slacking with my blogging, haven't I? I have all the best intentions in the world, but there just never seems to be enough time in the day to visit y'all like I want to...and leave comments.  However, one thing I do try very hard to participate in each week is Wednesday Hodgepodge over at Joyce's place.  Just click on the button and it'll take you right there.  All you have to do is answer the questions and link up!

1.  Summer officially rolls in with the Hodgepodge this week, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway.  What song says summer 2012 to you?  Well, when I was watching the CMA Awards a few weeks back waiting anxiously for Tim McGraw to give me a big ol' shout out (which never came!), I heard a song performed by Little Big Town that I fell in love with called "Pontoon".  It has the greatest beat and makes you want to head for the lake!  Go on...take a listen and tell me what you think!




2.  What's your favorite quintessential summer food?  No ifs, ands, or buts about it....homegrown tomatoes and sweet corn on the cob! Those are two veggies I could eat until the cows come home...literally!

3.   I've spent a lot of time traipsing up and down the NJ Turnpike in recent weeks.  Did you know the names of the rest areas on the turnpike are named after people who lived or worked in NJ?  Clara Brown, Walt Whitman,  James Fenimore Cooper,  Molly Pitcher,  Joyce Kilmore, Thomas Edison, and Glover Cleveland just to name a few. Of those listed, who would you most like to have known and why?  Hmm...I'd probably say Grover Cleveland.  He was the 22nd and the 24th President of the United States.  Can you imagine the stories he could share?  I'd be all ears!



4.  At what age did you move out of your parents house and what prompted the move?  Well, when I went away to college at around 19 or 20...I attended a community college the first 2 years to get my basics out of the way.  After I got my Bachelors degree. I moved back in with my Mom and Dad to attend graduate school. Of course, I didn't "officially" move out until I was 25 years old....when I got married.

5.  What's more satisfying to you-saving time or saving money?  I'd definitely have to say saving money.  Since we're a one-income household, I do whatever I can to cut costs on groceries, gas, water, and electric bills...you name it!  I feel it's the least I can do to help out.

6.  Name something you think brings out the good in people.  I would have to say kindness and generosity.  Those two things go a long, long way and it's a win-win situation for both the giver and the receiver.

7.  This last question comes to you courtesy of Kathy over at Reflections.  Will you be taking a vacation or a staycation this summer?    If so, where will you go?  If a staycation is on the calendar, have you made any plans to fill the time? We're taking a vacation in late July to Hilton Head, SC.  I can hardly wait!



We're planning to go to Savannah for a day and take Brittany on a ghost tour since she wasn't able to go with us last April.  Fun...and spooky times are ahead!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.  Last night, Brittany was standing outside visiting with one of her former boyfriends.  No...they're just friends (sigh!).  Anyhow, she burst in the front door informing me that an old man had just fallen off of his motorcycle in front of our house and wanted to know if he could park it in our driveway for the night until he could come get it sometime today. She said he had blood running down his arms, but seemed to be OK, otherwise.  He's very lucky that he didn't get killed.  We live on a steep road and cars zoom up and down it all the time.  God was definitely watching over him.  In just a bit, it's back to the dermatologist I go.  He, apparently, didn't get clear margins on my basal cell skin cancer and has to scrap/cut it down some more today. I'll be so glad when it's over!  On Friday, we're heading to my mother-in-law's house in South Carolina for some fun on the lake! See y'all next week! :)


April
April

Hello, I'm April, welcome to my blog. I look at every day as an adventure and an opportunity to laugh and to learn. You will soon discover that my family and my faith are at the heart of who I am.

25 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh, I'm pining - BIG TIME - to head back to Hilton Head this summer. We can get some decent hotel rates (but not within our pre-determined budget for lodging ... one of the reasons we usually go in May and September), but I'm really tempted to throw the budget out the window and head there for a few days.

Kimberly said...

Glad that man was ok! I loved that song. I don't know that group and really don't listen to country but its a cute song and video!

mysteryhistorymom said...

I have always wanted to go to South Carolina! You are going to have such fun!:) Sorry about the dermatologist saga, April. THis chapter of your life will be completed soon, though, dear friend. Remember to Choose Joy! Be so thankful that the doctor is taking care of things- and most of all, God.:) Big hugs! Lori

Rebecca Jo said...

Hope they take care of everything today at the dermatologist.

Thank goodness that poor man is OK... I bet that shook up Brittany!!! I woulda freaked out!!!!

Hilton Head... nice... always heard wonderful things about that place.

Cathy said...

Have fun at your mother-in-laws and that song was fun!

Nikki said...

Happy summer to you! I too love corn-on-the-cob! I also like watermelon, strawberries & of course frozen yogurt!

Nikki said...

Happy summer to you! I too love corn-on-the-cob! I also like watermelon, strawberries & of course frozen yogurt!

Krista said...

Ghost tour sounds fun!! I want to go along :)

Marla said...

Got to make you a little jealous (sorry)... hubby and I were in the audience for the CMA Music Awards 2 weeks ago. We had gone to Nashville for the CMA Festival and bought tickets to the award show at the last minute. We were in the nosebleed section but it was still lots of fun. I'm also a HUGE Tim McGraw fan & I'm seeing him with Kenny Chesney this Sunday in Charlotte. I have many pics from the festival on Facebook & guarantee I'll have lots of pics from the Tim-Kenny concert too! You can friend me to see the pics. Enjoy my state... South Carolina!

Joyce said...

Have fun this weekend! I'm going to a reunion with some of my friends from summer camp.

We've had a lot going on and I'm trying to deep clean my house right now so am not on the computer much lately. Its nice outside and there's lots of fun things happening too so I want to be doing instead of blogging : )

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi April, Sorry you are having to go through more treatment but it sounds like your doctor is being thorough and soon you will be able to put it all behind you.
Enjoy your weekend in NC. Wishing you a safe journey.
Lindsay
x

Stacy said...

Love your choice of song. My (2nd?) cousin, Luke Laird, is one of the writers. He has talent oozing out of him!

Tim slighted you during the awards? Must be those big stars...'cause Toby forgot about me, too. ;)

The ghost tour sounds like fun. Have a great time in SC.

Lois Christensen said...

Your vacation plans sound great! We loved Savannah the one time we went, it was HOT! Loved all your pictures from Father's Day...very nice. AND I love that music group as well!

Empty Nester said...

Hey! Y'all are coming to my state! Where? Which lake?

Carrie B said...

Have a great weekend! Sounds like fun!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I've never been to Hilton Head but hear nothing but wonderful things about it. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Well ugh about the dermatologist. I'm so sorry my friend. Hope you enjoy your visit to SC!

Theresa said...

I've never been to Savannah, but would love to. I hear it is beautiful. Enjoy your vacation :)

Zoanna said...

I have always wanted to go to Savannah. Not in the summer (too hot) but maybe spring? Tell me the best time to go. You're gonna love Hilton Head. SC is our favorite vacation state, hands down.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I love Hilton Head, Savannah and Charleston....and Edisto Island if you want some really great shells. Tybee rocks too....you will have a wonderful time.

Cherie said...

Hilton Head & Savannah?! I'm so jealous. Sounds so much fun. Good luck with the doctor.

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Hilton Head. That sounds like a fun vacation! I hope y'all have a great time this weekend!

Tami said...

I live in the NJ area. I know a lot of the history behind the bridges, towns and even some streets. I am a huge history buff.

Paula said...

Ooooh~ I love Little Big Town too, April! Their new song is perfect for summer!
Corn on the cob is one of my summertime favorites, for sure.
Hope you all have a wonderful trip~ hurry back!

FrouFrouBritches said...

Well, it's Friday so I guess y'all are having fun at the lake today.

Hope your derm appt went okay. I know you're glad it's over and done with.

You're going to Hilton Head? We went to Hilton Head about ten years ago and loved it!!! It was awesome! I guess Chris is excited about golf there?