Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Questions and Answers...

Hope you are all enjoying your week! With my girls being out of school since last Wednesday, we've been keeping pretty busy. Unfortunately, the weather hasn't been cooperating enough for us to hang out at the pool, but we've been in need of rain, so I'm not going to complain! Today, I've decided to answer some more questions, so let's get started!

OK, the next set of questions I was asked came from my sweet friend, Mommy Mac. She, first, inquired, "Do you think it is important for a mom to stay at home after her children go to school? Now, I'm certain that my answer is going to offend some of you, which is certainly NOT my intention! I'm only sharing with you my own opinion based solely on my own life experiences. Look out hot water...here I come!

Yes, I do think it's important, though not imperative, for a mother to stay at home after her children go to school. Why, you might ask? Well, when I was growing up, I had a mom who stayed at home with all three of her children. For me, there was no greater comfort than coming home from school in the afternoon to find her waiting for me with a huge glass of cold milk and a plate of chocolate chip cookies. She'd sit with me in the kitchen and we'd talk about everything that happened during the day. Those were special times because she made raising me (and my brothers) a top priority. She never complained about being a stay-at-home mom or "losing herself" because of it. She knew, we ALL knew, that it was her life calling...and we were very grateful. So, when I had my girls, I knew that I wanted to be at home with them, and for them, through all their growing up years. I've been blessed with the opportunity to go on field trips with them, be room mom, and to pick them up when they've been sick, or had a doctor or dental appointment. I think it's given my girls a sense of security to know that they can always count on me to be there. Now, this isn't to say that I don't feel mothers shouldn't have the chance to chase their own dreams, or that I don't understand that current economic times may not warrant a mother to remain at home. I'm not implying that at all! All I'm saying is that for me and our family...home is where I need, and want to be, until my girls are off on their own.
Do you have a housekeeper? Only in my dreams! LOL! Actually, I think I'm too picky about how I want my house to be kept, so I choose to clean my own house...free of charge! Well...ALMOST!

Do you live close to family or far away? The closest family we have nearby is Chris' mom and brother who live in South Carolina. It's about a 3-hour drive to their house. With my parents both gone, and one brother, I only have one brother left who lives in northwest Arkansas, so it's a long way from Georgia! I have many aunts, uncles, and cousins who live mostly in Arkansas and other parts of the south.
How do you keep your family dinners at the table TOGETHER with all your kids' activities? Well, that is not an easy task with Chris traveling 3-4 nights out of each week. Then, of course, the girls have all sorts of things going on all the time. So, we just do our best to eat an early or late dinner, if need be, so that we can have that time together without infringing on other plans and responsibilities. We do have a "tradition" of going out to dinner together every Friday night as a family. Brittany will even tell her boyfriend or friends that she'll have to meet up with them later because we're going out to eat. It gives us time to reconnect as a family.

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."~Desmond Tutu

April
April

Hello, I'm April, welcome to my blog. I look at every day as an adventure and an opportunity to laugh and to learn. You will soon discover that my family and my faith are at the heart of who I am.

29 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I think a stay-at-home mom is the ideal situation. I love your Friday night family time.

Shell in your Pocket said...

I appreciate your answers and really needed to read them today....thanks for sharing!!!
sandy toe

-stephanie- said...

I agree with what you wrote.

I have a traveling husband too. Gone most of the week.

I have 2 girls.

Are we twins?

Stacey said...

I agree with everything you said!

Darlene said...

I LOVED reading your answers. I have also been blessed that I am able to be at home after school when Lexi gets there and to be able to attend all her school functions/trips, etc.

Aubs said...

I have been getting the question alot..."what are you going to do now that Brayden will be starting school?" And my answer is always the same...."the same thing i do now unless God calls me to something different!" I'm excited to see what God has in store for me as i transistion into having both of them at school but undoubtedly His plan for me right now is to be in the home and i count that such a blessing!!

Great questions and great answers!! Love that you guys have the friday night tradition...those are the kinds of things your girls will remember and look back on so fondly for the rest of their lives!!

Georgia Girl said...

Loved hearing your answers...as for me I tried the stay at home when I was younger and I was bored out of my mind...I guess since I worked most of my life it stuck with me. I do admire those who do stay at home...my mom was one of those moms too! I am fortunate though with any job I have had and especially with who I am with now I can go to anything any of my kids have and when they are sick I am with her...well Lexi is only one at home now...My others are grown and have families. Jamison is with his dad. Now as far as supper I love the idea of eating out on Friday...We pretty much eat as family all the time but there are times when we can't.

April I would love to ask what places are there to visit in North GA that you enjoy? I like to visit places in my state but sometimes we never hear about those so living up there tell me some neat places to visit that are just a hole in the ground. That is when you do another question and answer day. Love this idea...get to know more about you better. I will have to try this also.

Unknown said...

I loved all your answers!

Mommy Mac said...

Thanks for the detailed answers! I appreciate it.

I ask these because I am soon to be at the crossroads of going back to teaching and continuing my handbag business or just staying home and doing the handbag business as Eli will be headed to kindergarten in one year.

I am also praying about home schooling the boys.

We have no family nearby, hence the next question!

Keeping a house tidy is tricky with a 2 and 4 year old!!!

And we LOVE eating together as a family. That's why I wanted to know your answers to how you continue to eat as a family as you are a wee bit ahead of me in mommying!!

You are the best!

.mac :)

Belinda said...

Great post. I wish I had a house keeper too, but I would have to clean before she got here. LOL. Our family is busy too so i agree with you on the meal at the table thing.Some of our family meals are in chairs at a baseball game. You just make due.Have a great day.

Heather said...

great answers! i agree on the stay at home answer too. both of my parents worked full-time (and still do- i have young parents). so i was always on my own. they were gone in the morning before i left for school and didn't get home until dinner time each weeknight. so i had to get myself ready for the bus every morning from 6th grade until i graduated high school and then i came home to an empty house everyday as well. it was kind of nice because after a stressful day at school i could unwind by myself, but sometimes it was pretty lonely and i wished someone was home with me. however even if they were home it still would have been like i was by myself (but that's a different story, lol). anyway, i love being a stay at home mom and i hope to continue to be one until atleast she moves out on her own when she becomes an adult. that would be nice. and then maybe i'll go get a fun job somewhere part time or something.

Christina said...

Great Post! I am a proud working mom and I wasn't the least bit offended. We all have our own calling! I am fortunate to be an Early Education Director, so I get to bring both of my younger boys to "school" with me. I am available to them all day long. I am also very fortunate to live next door to my parents, so if I'm not home for my oldest, then they are! I tried being a SAHM for about 7 months after my youngest was born and it just wasn't for me. I enjoy my independence as a working mom!

Deb said...

I have to agree...the kids may need you more the older they get...I was able to be with my kids we started our own business when my daughter was small and son in school...so they just came to the office with me when it was outside of the home...and I got to go on field trips and all the fun stuff too

Jennifer said...

I have to agree - staying home after my first was born was a struggle financially....my goodness, what a blessing and a privilege that I wouldn't change for anything - worth everything! Glad you had the opportunity to stay at home, too!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Love your questions and your answers!
I have been blessed to be at home for all eight years of my kids lives-we are praying it will continue, but the economy is killing us!
So-only God knows if we can continue to, but he knows the desires of all of our hearts.
The good thing is that the jobs I am considering are at my kids school-a private, Christian school. That would be what keeps them there...
It was good to catch up reading your blog since I was MIA for a few days.
You and Your blog always makes me smile!!

Anonymous said...

I love the Q & A day!! Lots of info and great answers.

Unknown said...

great answers and i totally agree that a stay at home parent is always best. no one cares for a child like her own parent and in my case, im better at the domestic stuff than either of my hubbys. besides, the three companies i tried to work for lost successively greater amounts of money and after i got laid off three times in five years, i figured i'd better stay home and wreak less havoc in the economy :)!

Blondie's Journal said...

I think it means so much to children to have a parent to come home to as you did growing up, as well as me. I actually missed the kids while they were in school!! They would rush in at 3:00 so excited to tell me about their day!

I never needed a housekeeper when the kids were small because I was home and since I am a neat freak, I could devote HOURS to organizing and scouring!! Things have since changed socially and economically for us so now I have 2 ladies that come in twice a month and they hit all those corners and shelves and places I forget and I can keep up with the day to day clean up and laundry, the latter something I despise! ;-)

Dinner is crazy here as well. We eat late because my husband gets home late and I feel we all need to sit down together~and he needs to see his family. So 8:00 p.m. is the norm. I try to make as much ahead of time so I can relax after 6:00 (punch out time for me!)

I love your Q & A days! Great idea, April!

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

April,

I loved all of your answers. I think if a parent is able to stay home then they should. My SIL is a stay at home Mom and I am GLAD. My youngest niece has never been in daycare and that is such a blessing.

Susan said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. We have dinner together pretty much every night, but I know that times will change when the kids get more involved in different activities. I am definitely going to try to keep dinner together a priority as they grow up.

Nicole O'Dell said...

Fun post! :)

Amy said...

First of all, I can't help but 'hear' you talking after watching all those vlogs you've done, when I read your words...too funny!

Secondly, I agree with you 100% about the staying at home with your girls and being there for them when they get home from school. I was able to be home with mine for almost 4 years and it meant a lot to me to get to do that. The only reason I don't do it now is because I am single again and I NEED to work to support them, but I get what you are saying and totally agree! My mom was there for us the whole time we were growing up and that was special for us. Great answers!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi April!

Good questions - I enjoyed reading your answers. I don't think I realized that your husband was out of town so much. Mine also travels all the time.

Have a super night!

XOXO
Jen

Anonymous said...

My Mom was (is) a work-a-holic and those are a lot of my memories of her growing up. I will not be that for my kids.

Femin Susan said...

Totally agreeing with everything what you said.
cheers!

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi April
I enjoyed reading your answers. That's wonderful you are there for your girls. I would describe myself as a part-time stay at home Mum! My job fits around my daughter so I can take/collect her from school everyday and work inbetween. I have 2 days when I do not work at all so I clean the house/shop/blog!!! My pay is not good but I think it's more important to be 'there' for my daughter. I didn't work at all until she was 2 years old and those years were so precious. If I didn't work we wouldn't be able to
have our luxuries like our holidays and a second car. I feel I have the 'best of both worlds'.
Hope your weather improves soon.
Lindsay
x

Anonymous said...

I think your answer about being a stay at home mom was so great : ). Gary complains about my job and my teeny pay check all the time, but truth be told, I wouldn't get another job mainly beccause of having to work after Kaish gets home from school. I pick him up at 3:30 every day and my work day is done until after he is in bed. Being his Mommy is my BEST job ever!

Denise said...

I enjoyed your answers.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You're my hero. You do this so well. And your kids are living proof.

XO,

Sheila :-)