Monday, March 23, 2009

The Tortoise and The Hare...MY Version!

As you know, Saturday was a full day of track. We were out the door by 8:15 AM...no rest for the weary, as they say! It was about a 45 minute drive over there. It was pretty chilly when we arrived, and the wind was blowing strong and steady. OK, I say it was chilly, but it really was downright cold for the first several hours. Thank goodness I was smart enough this time to bring my fleece blanket for Abby and I to put across our laps. That baby was a life saver!

This is a picture I took of the sun coming up when we were on our way to the meet. I've put my "catch phrase" on it that I always share with my girls anytime they're working toward a goal. I want them to know and BELIEVE that they can accomplish anything they set out to do.

Brittany and 3 of her teammates competed in the first running event of the day, the 4x800. I'm telling you, those girls completely blew the competition away by a long shot! They finished in 1st place and were only a few seconds off from setting a new school record! Here they are just prior to their race. Bless their hearts...they were trying so hard to stay warm!
Here's Brittany waiting anxiously for the hand-off of the baton. I love how she's biting her bottom lip...nerves and adrenalin will do that to a person! :)After their first race, we had to sit around for almost 4 hours before Brittany ran, again. She was in 1600m against her best friend, Alicia, and current school record holder for that event. Brittany was worried because her PR for the 1600m was 5:40 and Alicia's record time was 5:32. This race was very important because the top two runners in each event will be chosen to compete in the county meet next Saturday. Here's Chris talking "strategy" with Brittany just like they do before each and every race. Everyone refers to him as "The Stat Man". Here's Brittany running in the 1600m. She was bound and determined to do well and...
she ended up setting a new school record with a time of 5:30! That's 10 seconds off her PR! Woo hoo! I was down by the track taking pictures and wasn't really keeping up with her time. After the race, I went back up in the stands and the father of one of Brittany's teammates said he had her clocked in with a time just under 5:31. I said, "Excuse me?"...I didn't think I heard him correctly, so I asked for clarification. He said, "She ran just under 5:31." About that time, Chris walked over and informed me that she had set a new school record! I don't know what happened, but at that very moment, I lost all of my inhibitions. I began jumping up and down, hootin' and hollering like no tomorrow! Abby had a mortified look on her face as if to say, "Mom, PLEASE calm down...you're embarrassing me!" I'm sorry, but when either of my girls succeed at something, that's the reaction they're going to get! I'm a believer in showing your kids how excited and proud you are...even if you do end up looking like monkey in the jungle! :)

So, we were on Cloud 9 all weekend long! However, we've learned that, as with any sport, the thrill of victory can last for awhile, or it can be gone in an instant. You simply can't take it for granted, and you have to work hard to stay on top of your game. Thanks to all of you, by the way, who wished her well in the meet and believed in her! We're going to do this all over, again, tomorrow night!

"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance itself is merely the demonstration of their championship character."~ T. Alan Armstrong

P.S. I have a funny story to share. About 12:40 AM this morning, the electricity went off in our house. In fact, the entire neighborhood went completely black. I'm not sure what happened. Anyhow, I was worried that I wouldn't know when it was time to get up. So, I got out of bed to head downstairs in search of my cell phone...Abby met me at the door wondering what had happened. She shined the light from her cell phone from the upstairs balcony so I could see what I was doing. About that time, the power came back on. So, I went up to her room to reset her clock. I sat down on her bed, in total darkness, and instructed Abby to hold the light from her phone close to her clock so I could see what I was doing. Abby said, "Mom, you know you can turn on my lamp", and she reached across from me and turned it on. We both got so tickled...we sat there for about 10 mins. laughing uncontrollably! She promised that she'd never let me live that one down. So, in the wee hours of this morning, I can honestly say that I wasn't the brightest light bulb in the socket! :)
April
April

Hello, I'm April, welcome to my blog. I look at every day as an adventure and an opportunity to laugh and to learn. You will soon discover that my family and my faith are at the heart of who I am.

36 comments:

angi_b72 said...

Great job at the track meet!!
Too funny about the light story...i have done that before!! Have a great week!

Beth in NC said...

Ha, the light story would be a great "Not Me" Monday post! You should participate in that Meme. ha.

Congratulations to your daughter! And just last week someone broke her record. Amazing how a week can change things!

Love,
b

Unknown said...

Way to go B!!! That is really awesome.

Funny about the light...sounds like something I might do.

Lorrie said...

GM April--Congrats to Brittany for setting a new record--I'm so glad you celebrated with a little hootin' and hollerin'! As a mom you are compeletly entitled to do this in any public place.

Most of all I'm glad you can all go as a family and enjoy the track meets together. It's the time spent together and the memories you make that are the most important thing of all.

Love your story about the blackout and the lamp!

Unknown said...

congrats to brittany! thanks for starting off my day with a smile ... thats a cute one about the clock and the lamp :).

Jill said...

Great pics.. Maybe she'll be an Olympian one day...

Anonymous said...

You are always a bright light bulb to me April! Congratulations on her great race. WOW! That is so amazing and exciting. Your girls are so great.

ClassyChassy said...

Too funny! Love the clock and lamp story!!! It sounds like things my mom and I have done in the past! Thanks for the chuckle!

southerninspiration said...

Oh, Congrats to the runner!! Wahoo. I can understand whooping it up for her!! You should be so proud!
And it sounds totally like something I'd do with the lamp....funny story.

Suzanne

Deb said...

your story sounds like something that I would do....Congrats on the great track meet...good luck on the next one

Pam D said...

Remember your quote from last week- "A competitor will find a way to win. Competitors take bad breaks and use them to drive themselves just that much harder. Quitters take bad breaks and use them as reasons to give up. It's all a matter of pride."~Nancy Lopez

I would say your girl is a real competitor! Hoooooray for breaking that school record.. for coming back strong after a disappointing outing last week. Brittany will be a success at whatever she does, because she's learned the real secret of picking herself up and trying harder the next time. I bet she practiced like a maniac throughout the week, and she obviously got her mental game in order, too. I am just so thrilled for her (and for you, too)!
Oh.. and the light bulb story? SO totally something I would do.. and oh yay for doing it in front of your child, who will NEVER let you forget.... thanks for the laugh!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

NEW SCHOOL RECORD!!!! WHOO HOO!!!! CONGRATS BRITTANY!!! Mom I would have had the same reaction!! That is so awesome!

Hahahaha on the light bulb story!! HILARIOUS!

Heather said...

sounds as if your daughter is very talented! :)

and the light bulb story is hilarious!

SmilingSally said...

Well, it was the middle of the night!

Congratulations to your fast daughter.

Shelley said...

Congratulations to Brittany!! How exciting and what a great achievement! (I would've been the mom jumping up and down too! LOL!!)

Rebecca Jo said...

A Big WHOOP WHOOP for your girl!!! I'd totally be embarassing her right along with you!! That's incredible!

Unknown said...

How proud you must be~funny story sounds like something I would do lol!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Congratulations to your daughter! It makes me cold thinking of you shivering on the stands!

Your story cracked me up!

XOXOX
Jen

mak'n Changes said...

Oh what a great story! Congrats brit on your new record!

Pam D said...

Passin' the Sisterhood Award on to you... I truly love this bloggy sisterhood that we've all tumbled into! Check out my blog for details!

The Blonde Duck said...

Congrats on the race! Sounds like ya'll had a great time.

I wouldn't have been the brightest bulb either. We probably would have been sold in the same box. :)

Heather said...

awesome job at the meet yesterday Brittany! you go girl! april i would have been doing the same thing as you afterwards lol. oh and the lamp story is too funny! i probably would have done the same thing there too!

Jennifer said...

Congrats again....each week - new records! Yippee!! I suppose I should make myself all official and became a follower - since I check in every day...and I sure do love little surprises! Nice idea...

Have a great week.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi April
Wonderful news about Brittany. She did fantastic. I was so pleased to hear all about it. You sound like her biggest cheerleader just like your Mom was yours.
Funny story about you and Abby and the light! Whenever we have a power cut I seem to walk about and automatically keep trying to turn on the lights even though I know they are not working!
Lindsay

Linda said...

Oh man, I'm hootin' and hollering right now for Brittany here too! Way to go girl!

I loved the early morning electricity story...too funny and something like I'd pull off!

Susan said...

Congratulations to your girl for a job well done! What an accomplishment!

Faye said...

GREAT JOB AT THE TRACK.ENJOYED YOUR BLOG!HAVE A VERY BLESSED EVENING!

Denise said...

Awesome Brittany.

Anonymous said...

That's a cute story!

and I love that first pic!

And school record?!?!? Whoo hoo!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!

Enjoyed the story!

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!! I really do appreciate the updates of the track meetings. I ran track in school so I definitely know about those nerves! :) Congrats to Miss B!

BTW- that story sounds JUST LIKE ME! :)

Bo said...

WooHoo Brittany!! I think the "rule book" says moms can act like hollering fools when their kids make them proud...LOL ;-) Bo

Daphine said...

LOL! I was laughing SO LOUD about you jumping up and down. I could almost see clearly the look on Abby's precious face! LOL! You are a trip woman!

Congrats to Brittany on such a GREAT race! I love it!

You truly bring a smile to my face every time I read your new post, April!

Love ya lots lady!

Happy Tuesday!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Brittany!!! That is so exciting!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Yea! Great about the track reoord for your baby! Go team (and you're certainly part of it, April)!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Tim said...

OH MAN IVE GOT CHILLS!!IM SO EXCITED IM ABOUT TO JUMP OUT OF MY SKIN. I GUESS ITS JUST THE COACH IN ME!!!!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAYYYYY BRITTT!!!!!!!!
YOU DA BOMB BABY!

Love and Prayers,

Tim